Most people don’t think about their basement when it comes to potential flooding, but the fact is that your basement is one of the most likely areas in your home to be affected by a flood. Fortunately, there are some things you can do to help prevent basement flooding. Keep reading for tips on how to prevent basement flooding.
How To Prevent Basement Flooding
Basement flooding Causes
There are many causes of basement flooding. Some of the most common include:
One of the most common flooded basement causes is water seepage. Groundwater can enter through cracks in your home’s foundation or walls and cause the basement to flood.
Faulty or broken sump pump:
A sump pump is installed in the lowest part of a home’s basement to remove any water that may accumulate there. If the sump pump fails or is not maintained correctly, it can cause the basement to flood.
Pipes can break for various reasons, including tree roots growing into them, corrosion, and freezing temperatures. When you have plumbing leaks, it can cause severe basement floods.
Heavy rains can overload the municipal sewer system and cause backups that lead to basement flooding.
If the ground around a home is not graded correctly, water can pool near the foundation and cause the basements to flood.
If a basement is not waterproofed correctly, it is susceptible to future flooding. Waterproofing includes sealing cracks in the foundation and installing a drainage system to remove any water that may accumulate around the home.
If a home’s sewer system backs up, it can cause sewage to enter the basement through drains or toilets. This is a severe health hazard and should be addressed immediately.
Leaking or overflowing appliances, such as washing machines, dishwashers, and water heaters, can cause the basement to flood. It is crucial to maintain these appliances and address any issues promptly and correctly.
Why does heavy rain cause flooding in your basement?
The answer to this question has to do with the way most homes are built.
Most basements are below ground level, which means they are lower than the surrounding land.
When it rains, the rainwater runs off the higher land and down towards the basement. If there is a lot of rain, or if the rain is coming down very hard, it can overwhelm the drainage systems around the home and cause water to seep into the basement.
You can do a few things to help prevent your basement from flooding during the rainy season.
- One is to ensure that your gutters and downspouts are clear and in good working order. This will help ensure that water is directed away from your home and not allowed to pool around the foundation.
- Another is to have a sump pump installed in your basement. This will help remove any water seeping into the basement and keep it from accumulating.
- You can also talk to a professional about waterproofing your basement. This will help prevent water from seeping through cracks or other openings in the foundation.
Taking these steps can help keep your basement dry and free from flooding during heavy rains.
So, how to prevent your basement from flooding?
As we all know, the spring season is notorious for bringing heavy rains, resulting in major basement flood events. And, with those heavy rainfall comes the potential for flooding – especially in our basements.
Fortunately, you can do a few things to help prevent basement floods during the spring season.
Gutters and downspouts
One of the best things you can do to prevent basement flooding is to make sure your gutters and downspouts are clear and in good working order.
Your gutters are designed to direct water away from your home; if they’re clogged, that water has nowhere to go but down – right into your basement.
Downspouts play an essential role in preventing basement flooding as well. They should be directed away from your home and clear of any obstructions so that water can flow freely through them.
Another way to help prevent basement flooding is to install a sump pump. A sump pump is designed to remove any water seeping into your basement and keep it from accumulating. Remember, you will need to inspect your sump pit and pump at least twice a year to ensure it is not broken or clogged.
You can also talk to a professional about waterproofing your basement. This will help prevent water from seeping through cracks or other openings in the foundation.
This type of waterproofing is designed to keep water from seeping through cracks in your foundation walls.
This type of waterproofing is designed to keep water from seeping in through the ground around your foundation.
Foundation cracks can be found on the exterior and interior sides of your foundation. You should regularly inspect your basement floor and walls to look for cracks. These cracks can allow water to seep into your basement, so it’s important to have them repaired as soon as possible
Cover your Window well
If you have below-grade basement windows, ensure they are covered with window wells. This will help to keep water from seeping in through the windows. Use clear acrylic covers or sheet metal covers to keep the water out and the light in.
Install a backwater valve
A backwater valve is designed to prevent sewage from backing up into your home. This can be a significant problem during heavy rains, as the sewer system can become overloaded and cause sewage to backup into homes.
By taking these steps, you can help to prevent your basement from flooding during the spring season.
Having Water Damage? Contact Us Today!
How to prepare for emergency flooding?
Flooding can happen any time or hour, day or night. There are many things you can do to prepare for an emergency flood.
- Make sure you have an emergency kit that includes food, water, and other supplies in case you have to evacuate your home.
- Know your area’s flood risk, and ensure you understand what to do if a flood warning is issued.
- Have a plan for how you will evacuate your home if flooding occurs, and make sure everyone in your family knows the plan.
- Make sure you have a list of important phone numbers, including the number for your insurance company.
- If possible, raise any electrical appliances and wiring at least 12 inches off the ground in case of flooding.
- Ensure your property by purchasing flood insurance.
What to Do When Your Basement is Flooded?
A basement flood can be a health and safety risk. Here are tips to keep if your basement has flooded.
- Do not enter the basement if the power is still on.
- Do not use any appliances or outlets in the basement until a qualified electrician has checked them.
- Do not turn on the furnace or air conditioner if submerged in water.
- Do not try to remove the water yourself. This is a job for professionals
- Call your homeowner’s insurance company to find out what your policy covers.
- Call a professional restoration company to remove the water and dry your basement.
Followings this, you can help yourself and your family stays safe if your basement floods.
Flooded basement risks
A flooded basement can pose a severe health and safety risk. The water can be contaminated with sewage or other harmful contaminants, and the standing water can create a breeding ground for mold and other bacteria. Floodwater can also damage any appliances or electrical outlets in the basement. If you have a flooded basement, it’s essential to take steps to mitigate the risks.
Some of the risks associated with a basement flood include:
- Contaminated water: Floodwater can contaminate sewage or other harmful contaminants. This water can cause serious illness if it comes into contact with your skin or is ingested.
- Standing water: Standing water can provide a breeding ground for mold, bacteria, and other organisms. These organisms can cause serious illness if they come into contact with your skin or are ingested.
- Damage to appliances and electrical outlets: Floodwater can damage any basement appliances or outlets. This damage can create a fire hazard or cause the appliance to malfunction.
Call a professional Restoration company
If you have a flooded basement, it’s important to call a professional restoration company to remove the water and dry out your wet basement. These companies have the experience and equipment necessary to safely and effectively remove the water and mitigate the risks associated with a flooded basement.
What a water damage cleanup company will do?
A water damage cleanup company will assess the extent of the flood damage, removing any standing water and wet materials. They will then dry out the area using fans and dehumidifiers. Once the area is dry, they will clean and disinfect it to prevent mold growth and other bacteria.
What to look for in a restoration company?
When you are looking for a restoration company, you should:
- Make sure the company is licensed and insured.
- Check online reviews to see what other customers have said about the company.
- Get a written estimate of the cost of the project.
Flooded basements are a common problem that can be prevented by following some simple steps.
- The most essential step in preventing basement flooding is to keep your gutters and downspouts clean and free of debris.
- Other ways to prevent basement flooding include ensuring the soil around your home slopes away from your foundation, installing a sump pump , and using a waterproofing sealant on the basement walls.
If you experience a flood, it’s important to call a professional restoration company to remove the water and dry out your basement. These companies have the experience and equipment necessary to safely and effectively remove the water and mitigate the risks associated with a flooded basement.